Monday, August 8, 2011

Reminiscing

Since I just recently started my blog, I thought I'd play catch up and share a few of my favorite photos from the past of these little men in my life. First, a few of Hendrix
Baby Hendrix, one day old. I can honestly say this was the happiest day of my life. The day I became a mother. I can't put into words the amount of joy and love I felt for Hendrix. I barely slept the whole two days while we were in the hospital. I would just stay awake, staring at him, holding him. I just couldn't believe he was here, and that he was mine.

He was also so incredibly happy. This is him at 6 weeks

What a handsome guy!

Hendrix at 7 months


Playing at the park, Hendrix at 10 months


Henri's 1st birthday


Hendrix, the 4th of July 2010



Hendrix the fall of 2010


Hendrix's 2nd birthday

He loves his momma :)

Valentines date with mom and dad


Hendrix Warren

 Oh man, it was hard just picking a few photo

He is SUCH a character!



Now to the twins!! I got a little emotional, and sort of ramble. A shorten version of my birth story, and some photographs of my boys.
This was about a week before the babies were born. I carried them to 38 weeks, which is considered full term for twins. I had a schedule c-sections on April 26th. When I went in to deliver, they decided to check me and I was dilated to about a 4. The doctor told me if I wasn't scheduled, I would have gone into labor that day anyways. Boy was I ready, I was stinking miserable. I was soo full of baby! Maxton James weighed in at 6 pounds 2 ounces and Bennett Mathias as 7 pounds 13 ounces.  A lot of people ask me if we were surprised to find out I was pregnant with twins. Who wouldn't be surprised? Yes, absolutely. And to answer the other question; I got the twin gene from my mom's side. My mother's grandma was a twin, and my mother's grandpa had twin brothers. It skipped THREE generations before hitting me. Yes, it was a big shock.

Getting to know baby Bennett. From the minute he was born, he reminded me so much of my first born son. He cooed when he was sleeping, and had a head full of hair, just like his big brother. Loving him was the only thing that kept me sane for the next few days.

It's pretty obvious who Bennett resembles! Bennett is at the top, and I'm the photo on the bottom


I am so proud of Hendrix as a big brother. He stayed with Hannah while I was in the hospital, and when Bennett and I stayed with Aaron in Wichita while Maxton was in the NICU. I was so afraid that once the babies were born, I would lose the strong bond I had with Hendrix. So not true. 

Now Baby Maxton's story. Maxton was my baby A, meaning he was the first to be delivered. I remember laying behind that curtain, and hearing, "here's baby A." I heard a small cry, it wasn't very strong. Not even a minute later baby B was born. I couldn't see either of them, but Aaron was describing their features. I kept hearing this patting sound, and I knew they were patting one of the babies. I asked several times what was happening, and they told me Max was breathing lazy, but he was going to be ok. Later, I found out he probably inhaled fluid (something that can be common with c-sections) and it kind of escalated from there. I held Maxton, only by the cradle of one arm, before he was whisked away. Dr, Thomas told me later that those few minutes were the only time his breathing was decent. 

Aaron and I discussed before the babies were born what we would do if they got separated (not anticipating it would ever happen). I told him I wanted him to follow whatever baby had to go to the NICU no matter what happened. We both hated the thought of one of our children going through this alone. After my surgery I was brought back to my room, Bennett was wheeled in just seconds after. I heard the news that they would be calling Wesley to come pick up Maxton for further care. Aaron waited by Maxton side as they 'worked' on him at McPherson Memorial as I sat anxiously in the room, trying to enjoy the arrival of our new baby boys. When the nurses from Wesley arrived, they finally wheeled Maxton in to meet his mother. Aaron kissed Bennett and I good-bye, and grabbed a few essentials before heading on the road to follow our sweet baby Max to Wichita.

Here I am meeting Max. I was so drugged up from the surgery that I didn't fully understand what was happening. I kept asking when he would be back. If they'd bring him back the next day. I suppose looking back at it it was probably a blessing in disguise, because if I had truly understood the severity of it, I would have been one distraught mother (even more so than what I was.)  I lost a lot of blood in the next few days, so recovery from the surgery wasn't going so well. Aaron stayed in the Ronald McDonald house while I was stuck back in McPherson. I was pretty desperate to be released so I could get to Max. The boys were born on a Tuesday, on that Friday, I was given a blood transfusion and finally released. 


Aaron coming to pick Bennett and I up to stay with him in Wichita. Bennett and I spent the first night in Wichita with Aaron, but then decided to make daily trips back and forth with the help of my and Aaron's parents and Hannah. I was having a horrible time recovering, and I was missing Hendrix horribly bad. Aaron continued to stay in Wichita. He got to know the nurses very well, and I was told there were many nights they sent him home because he fell asleep by Maxton's side :) I know it might sound like I'm being a bit dramatic about the situation, but it was the hardest thing I have ever had to go through. When I finally saw Maxton in the NICU, he was sedated and on a ventilator. The ventilator vibrated his sweet baby body. All I could do was rest my hand on him. The IV's in his head made his face swell with fluid and his body was covered in wires. It's hard not to cry about it still, it just doesn't seem fair that he had such a rough beginning. I wish I could of held him and welcomed him to the world. Give him kisses and keep him warm on my chest. 
On the third day Max was there, he took a turn for the worse. The nurses told us he really scared them, and for a second, they didn't think he was going to make it. Maxton was our little fighter, and faster then he fell, he turned back around. His stay in the NICU was 11 days long. The longest 11 days I have ever endured.

Holding both our babies boys. We were both so happy!

Bennett dreaming of something funny

Aaron feeding baby Maxton in family care. Before Maxton was released from Wesley, he was moved to private room with his own nurse. Aaron was allowed the stay the night in the room with Max. If Maxton's feedings went well, and he didn't have to use his breathing tube for 24 hours, we would be sent to family care to stay one more night at the hospital. Maxton did great! Bennett and I happily spent the following night in Wesley, almost as a complete family. 

We were released the day before Mother's Day. The best Mother's Day I could have possibly had. 

A photo I snapped of Bennett on the was home from Wichita.

Spending time with my Baby Max

Finally at home together!

Such big smiles! I remember telling myself that the day I saw Maxton smile would be one of the happiest days of my life, after seeing what he went through. I.was.right.

Sweet Baby Ben


Sleeping Max

My favorite photo of Bennett

Smiles for mommy

Bath time with Maxton

My Maxton James


No comments:

Post a Comment