Saturday, August 20, 2011

I Heart Fayetteville

Were we adventurous or naive to take 3 month old twins and a 3 year old on a 6 hour car ride? Well, probably a little bit of both, but it was definitely worth the travel for a visit with my older sister and her lovely family. Rachel lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas. When Aaron and I took our first trip to visit the Hamen's 2 years ago, we absolutely fell in love with the area. So much so that we made a small effort to move there. In the end, we bought a house and stayed in McPherson instead. I am thankful we didn't make the move because it was less then a year later I found out I was pregnant with twins. I can't imagine being 6 hours away from my mom at this point in my life. Someday, however, we still plan to make the move. We love Fayetteville! I know, Arkansas right? But it seems so perfect for our family. We would love to raise our boys in an area with a creek 5 minutes away no matter what direction you drive, or maybe even in our backyard. (Not to mention it has great shopping!) I was incredibly surprised at the culture this little city had to offer as well. Far enough away to get a little bit of everything, but close enough that I could make a weekend drive back to my Mom for pancakes and kettle corn whenever I'm craving those homemade sweets that no one can do better.

We kept ourselves pretty busy during the 5 day stay, but then again, anything thing we did was pretty exhausting with the babes. Saturday morning Rachel and I did and little shopping and left the kids with the husbands. I have to admit, left to watch over 6 kids, the guys did great. When we got back from shopping, we packed up the kiddos and went to explore the local farmer's market.
 Stopping to play with the bubbles. Who doesn't love bubbles?

I absolutely love this photo of the boys! Hendrix watching his cousin Drew. They play so well together, I wish they could see each other more often.


Rachel and Lily checking out some home made hats.


A stroll in downtown Fayetteville.


Capturing Lily


Stopping to sit in the shade, the men keep on eye on the twins.


Cooling down in the fountain


Where's that water coming from?

Rachel and I spent the rest of the day crafting while the boys went out for a beer. The heat really worn us out so we were ready for some relaxation! After dinner, however, we packed the kids back up and to go see Kung-Fu Panda 2 at the drive-in movie theater. The twins slept while the older ones munched on candy and popcorn.
These boys are growing so fast (isn't that what every mother says?)
He is such a talker!!


Bennett chewing on his hand. They only thing he loves better then his hand, is my hand. 


Papasan chairs are like a little nest for these guys


Maxton didn't want me to put him down, but how adorable does he look right now?!


Silly Drew :)


Hendrix making music 


cooling off in our diaper


Love his beautiful smile

Sunday after lunch we loaded up the cars and drove to a nearby creek for a swim. The water stays cool year round because it's a spring fed creek, but it wasn't cold enough to not swim. Well maybe for me because I'm a wuss. But the breeze off the water was so nice for the boys and I to sit in the shade and watch the fun. That evening Jason and Rachel babysat our boys so Aaron could take me out for a bit. We had dinner and then stopped by a local gourmet coffee bar Common Grounds, for dessert. I didn't visually document the date. I know you're surprised because it's pretty apparent I'm obsessed with my camera.  
How I spend most my days :)


Hendrix stopping for a snack


Hudson loves the water!!


Drew feeling the current


How to entertain small children; an umbrella.


Beautiful Lily sitting by the shore.


Drew tickling Henri

Such a fantastic dad.


Bees love ice tea. Seriously...we blew on this fella for a while before he finally flew off. Aaron wanted to take him home.


*insert caption here*


What a little man he's becoming. Henri, not Aaron. Or maybe Aaron, too.


Monday was Hudson's first day of kindergarten. I'm sad for Rachel because it breaks my heart to think of Hendrix going to kindergarten. But he did great!
Hudson heading off.

In the Fayetteville mall they have a gymnastic gym. When it is not being used they rent it out for 5 dollars a family, so Aaron, Rachel, and I took the kids there to play a bit while Hudson was at school. It was such a fun idea!
Drew doesn't hesitate to jump


Henri's turn


I really wish they had fun stuff like this around our area.


Lily trapped in foam.


I think Aaron had more fun than the children :)


Monday we had soup and a salad for supper. A light dinner so Aaron and I could treat our hosts to one of our favorite desserts; fried ice cream.

Making sure the oil is hot enough


Ready to be fried


The real deal. Don't be fooled. The fluff you order at restaurants isn't really fried. 



Tuesday was our last full day on vacation. Aaron and I took our boys out for a little family shopping to check out some stores downtown. We found a cupcake shop. A pretty successful afternoon if you ask me. 
Hendrix had a PB&J cupcake. It was surprisingly good. The peanut butter frosting wasn't too thick, and the texture of the cupcake had a bread feel to it, but not overly. 


Cupcake face.


He loves his sweets.


:) 


Taking his sweet time back to the car.


Typical afternoons with Hendrix. Get in the dang car!

Tuesday night we spent the evening drinking pina coladas and playing spades with the Hamens. A simple evening, but we had a good time. We left Wednesday afternoon. What a great vacation and we can't wait to go back. Oh, and I forgot to mention. Hendrix must have been on a growth spurt, because all he wanted to do was EAT. I mean he was constantly asking for food!
Yogurt!


Mess monster


Lily is for real about her yogurt


I said 'no cheese'


Ok, I give you cheese


I said cheese!


Hudson snacking on cereal and watching a movie.


Baby bananas?! Yes, Hendrix was just as excited as I was. Henri making the banana talk in a baby voice- 'Eat me Hendrix. I'm so yummy. I not be sad you eat me.'

And to leave you with some random photos I snapped of my boys while on the trip!
Bennett looking so much grown up!


Many smiles from Maxton! Did I mention that he out of all three boys was the one that hated the car trip. It was SOO refreshing to see this beautiful grin after that terrible car ride.


I'm a sucker for this kid's dimples


Aaron making him smile


Dad is so funny!


I love this beautiful boy


Playing with mom's new hat


It looks better on him


I obviously played with this pic on photoshop. I like it.


Mom, enough with the pictures!


   


No comments:

Post a Comment