Monday, October 17, 2011

What people ask you most, when you're a mother of 3 boys.

I decided to post a blog of two questions I am frequently asked. So here are my answers.

Are you going to try for a girl?
No, absolutely not. We would never try for a girl. If we have more children, it won't be so we get a girl. But, to address this topic. Do I want a little girl? If you would have asked me a year ago, I'd have said I would die for a girl. Now, I feel pretty neutral about the idea. I wouldn't be upset if I had a girl, I wouldn't be upset if I never had a girl. After we had Hendrix I told Aaron, let's have a girl next. When we found out the twins were both boys, I was a little crushed. I always wanted a girl. It took a while when I realized I wanted a daughter for very selfish reasons. Not just so I had someone to dress up and do her hair. Not because I always dreamed of having a mini-me. Actually, I'd feel sorry for her if she looked like me. Have you seen pictures of me growing up? They're painful to look at. I didn't grow into myself until well after highschool. Eek, I'd hate for my daughter to go through that 20 some years of pure awkwardness.
I wanted a daughter because I wanted that lifelong best friend. I wanted a relationship like I have with my mom. Someone I could take shopping with me. Someone I could take to Phantom of the Opera. Someone who would come to me with all their question, who would cry on my shoulder and look up to me. Someone who I could teach how to be a mother. Someone who I could hold their hand when they have their first child. Someone I could give advice to. See? Selfish.
Everyday though, that desire grows smaller and smaller. My boys are my best friends. I feel full-filled with my 3 sons. So overjoyed and in love everytime I look at them. What am I missing? Nothing, absolutely nothing. They make me laugh, smile, cry with happiness. There is nothing in the world that could make me happier. If someday they outgrow me, and I know they will, I'll never feel like I missed out on anything. When the day comes that I'm not their everything, they will still be my everything. There is something special about being the mother of 3 boys. I am always the most beautiful girl they've seen (for now!) I am their mom, their example of what a woman should be like. I'm a girl, and I can't even understand women. I get boys. Besides, maybe one of them will like shopping and going to Phantom of the Opera :) if not, I'll get used to soccer games and football. And maybe someday I'll get a daughter-in-law that I can share all those things with. And grand-daughters.
A few other thoughts that have crossed my mind. I think sometimes I hope I don't ever get a daughter. My reasoning? Well, I have a few. Girls tend to be harder. Ask any mother that has raised both. They usually have the same answer. My other reason. Well, if our next one is a girl, I will have 3 boys and a girl. I have noticed, that families with only one of the opposite sex, that child gets different treatment. Now, you can't really deny it, and I'm not saying it's wrong, but it's usually true. Children are different, they should be treated so. (i.e. A girl is probably more sensitive, so should be treated gentler. This isn't always the case, just an example.) If you have one girl, she is the baby, the princess. If you have only one boy, than he is the golden child. The king of the house. I never said this is wrong, or bad. If anything it's natural. You can disagree with me, and it's not always true, but I have seen it all too often. In any case, it bothers me. I can't say why, it just does, and I never want to have to deal with it.
Bottom line. What ever gender of child we get, we will love unconditionally, for the rest of our lives. The child will be equally cherished, whether it is a boy or a girl. But we will never try for a child, just in hopes that this time it will be female.

Do we want more children?
Oh man, depends what day you ask us. Heck, it depends what time of day you ask us. Really though, we're not sure. We feel so happy with our boys. So incredibly happy. This love is enough, it is more than enough. What parents wouldn't feel overjoyed with these three perfect children? But I'm kidding myself if I say I never want to hold another baby. Raise another child. Aaron and I have talked about it a lot, and we'd really love to adopt. We love to give a child that doesn't have a mother or father that kind of love. We'd love to give a child a loving home and good family. But right now, we're content. I also never want to have so many children that I don't get to give them the individual time that they deserve.  I never want to have so many children that the older child have to help raise the younger ones. *cough cough 19 kids and counting. Or how ever many they have now. cough cough* That's just ridiculous. At the same time, I feel much too young to make any sort of decision. Maybe 2 years from now, maybe 5 years from now, maybe 10 years from now, we'll want another baby, but for now, we're doing just fine. And despite what some  of you may think, we'll never have to buy a 15 passenger van :) If we do have more, we'll have no more than 4. Ok maybe 5. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment