Friday, October 7, 2011

Bittersweet September.

September. The smell in the crisp morning air is enough to put a lump in my throat. Yet, I yearn for it. Maybe it's the reminder to hug my loved ones a little tighter, hold them closer, tell them how much I care more often. It makes me feel. Really feel human. Empathy is such a powerful emotion. Sometimes I think, would he be proud of me? His little sister? There's so much about him I remember, but I was so young. SO young, did I even really know him? I miss my brother, everyday of my life. But it's not me that my heart breaks for, it's for my mother and father. Yes, I lost my brother, but they lost their son. Their first born. Their baby. I really feel uncomfortable to talk about it, but I feel like I need to. A good friend of mine lost someone very close to her this year from the same cause. There has been so much loss in September, so much pain. We love you, Mathias. 

Sorry, enough talk about grief. So September tends to be a very busy and hard month for us. I haven't blogged in quite sometime because I have really been keeping myself busy! Between Aaron and I's birthday, our birthday party, my children, and crafting, I have really had no time to breath! But it has been a good busy. The more things to keep myself busy with during this month, the better. My latest project has been redoing the boy's room. It has been SO much fun. I've accomplished more than I thought I had in me. I truly believe anyone can do anything with the right inspiration. I have sewn, painted, glued, plastered and just about anything else you can think of to handcraft this room with love. It's kind of a random theme, but I love it. I feel like boy's rooms are so limited, but you can do anything when you make the things yourself. Trucks, and sports really aren't us. I'd say it has kind of an Autumn thing (my favorite season) with owls, trees, acorns, bright patterns and some random items we love. Owls have become a very popular theme, but for girls. Why? Owls are badass, Harry Potter had an owl. I mean come on ;) Here is a glimpse of work I have done, when the room is complete, I will give a full, complete tour.  
Book slings, I love them. Here is where I originally found the idea, and a tutorial of how to diy. There is also a non-sewing version.  http://pennycarnival.typepad.com/penny_carnival/2009/02/tutorial-hanging-book-display.html
I decided to use a canvas rather than a regular cotton blend. One, so I could paint it, and also so the slings would be stiffer and have a better form. The top one reads 'Tell Me A Story'. I used scrap pieces of other fabrics I had used in the room as the leaves. 


A scrapbook wall to create a perfect reading area. So many times I have browsed scrapbooking paper and thought, I wish I could plaster that on my wall. No....no, that's crazy. But then I realized, we own this house, I'll do whatever I want. And then I found this link: http://designdazzle.blogspot.com/2009/06/decorating-with-scrapbook-paper.html
This is my interpretation of that.

Reading corner. Complete with a hanging lantern and shelf.

My sister-in-law, Hendrix and I collected them at my Mother-in-laws house. At first I wasn't so sure about this style of acorns. But now that they are finished, I love them! I love how textured they are. With the rich brown color they almost look like a delicious chocolate truffle.

This was such an easy project, but oh so time consuming. I finished them the same day but was painting constantly from 11am to 3pm. My back hurt from hunching over by the time I was done. It wasn't easy keeping Hendrix away. And Ben, for that matter! Man, that kid is on the move.

I found a large acorn at Hobby Lobby and painted it as well.  The Darth Vader my mom made back in the day. The 'READ' letters are just cardboard 3d letters I found at Hobby Lobby and spray painted red.

I made this chalk board from an old poster we weren't using anymore with spray paint and chalkboard paint. http://hauteapplepie.com/2010/01/25/diy-window-chalkboard/
You can really turn anything into a chalkboard. When we finish the basement, I plan on painting a whole wall for the boys. 

I had been talking about making a tent for under Henri's bed for months. I finally did it! The babies still sleep in our room, and will for a while, but when we do move them in here, we'll put a bed inside the tent. Yes, they will share a bed. They are still little enough they won't care. Actually, they'll probably prefer it. And yes, that is a baby bumper hung around the bed. I love that it covers up that ugly metal frame! And it fits perfectly into this room.

Handcrafted art I made for the boys. It's decoupage. Paper, paint, and mod podge. 



The Full Nelson Birthday Bash. My sister and brother-in-law threw Aaron and I the best birthday we could ever imagine. It was SUCH a blast. David's band played Get Jonny, The Rackatees, DJ Matt 'Madcell', and DJ Koneka all played.  David's band even covered a song I requested, 'Miss Sweeney'- by Weezer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVII3tQqVzk
That's the song if you're curious. I think we've all agreed there needs to be this music fest EVERY year!
I didn't take any pics, but stole some from Taysha. I just posted these as a small preview because I wasn't sure how people would feel about being in my blog. Hannah and I getting down. I seriously laugh out loud everytime I look at this because I can't believe we were that drunk.

This is what we look like after we've been drinking. 
Pretty damn fly * sarcasm*


 On my actual birthday we didn't do much. Hendrix had school, and I decided I would just like to craft all day. I can't even express in words how happy it made me to hear my sweet Hendrix sing me happy birthday all morning long, and all the extra kisses I got from him on my special day. He had to tell everyone it was his mommy's birthday. He made me feel so loved :) So Aaron and I headed to Lindsborg to eat at the Swedish Crown because I decided I wanted Swedish pancakes for my birthday. When our waitress found out it was my birthday, I got my meal FO FREE! (Yes, I meant to say 'fo' not 'for', sound it out, that's how I would actually say that phrase.) Oh, I forgot to mention that Aaron picked me up a cappuccino that morning, and the woman in front of him bought that for me, too. Yay for free coffee! Then we went on our way to Salina to shop for craft supplies. That night I made Aaron (because on your birthday you have a free pass to tell whoever you want to do whatever you want, because it's your birthday) stay up with me and wallpaper the scrapbook paper to the wall. And I even started on the book slings I made. Yes, I do much of my projects in the middle of the night. My babes have gotten a lot easier than they used to be, but it's still hard to get things done interrupted during the day. Besides, I'm sort of a night owl and used to not getting much sleep. In fact, after becoming a parent, I have an extremely hard time sleeping. For what ever reason, I can't shut my brain off, the night makes me incredibly anxious and I'm always afraid something going to happen to my child. A fire, SIDS, anything, you name it, I worry. I don't think it's healthy....
Aaron and I on our birthday. My husband. Lately I feel the need to tell him how much I love him more often. I think there has been a lot of deaths this month and it makes me realize that I couldn't live without him. He truly is my best friend. Yeah, I'm not gunna lie, he drives me NUTS, but who wouldn't when you're around someone all the time for over 8 years. We make each other laugh, he takes good care of me and the kids, he appreciates me and how I am with our sons, and he really does love me unconditionally. Don't be fooled we are far from perfect, but we are perfect for each other.  


Aaron. I love his gray hair (yes, he has gray hair.) I love how happy his eyes look, even when he's not smiling. I love how hard he laughs, and how he voice gets louder when he's excited about something. I love seeing our babies sleeping on his chest. I love how he always has to be touching me, even though sometimes it annoys the crap out of me. I love what a good man he is. A genuinely good person. I love how intelligent he is and his sense of humor. I love that this is the man that my sons will look up to. 
Alright, now that I've made you throw up. But, this is my blog, and this is what's been on my mind. If it makes you feel any better, my list of  'what I don't like' is probably much longer if you catch me on a bad day :)

Taking the boys shopping. Yeah we're crazy for taking them, but if we didn't we'd never get out of the house. At least not together. They actually did great! I think they like to get out and explore the world. Can you imagine how interesting everything in the eyes of a 5 month old?


And now, the reason you actually read my blog. Hendrix still absolutely loves school. I am so proud of him and all the art he brings home. Yes, I believe I may become a hoarder because I don't have the heart the throw ANY of it away. Not even the scraps of paper with scribbles on them. The babies are now 5 months old and have become SO much fun. They talk to each other, smile and laugh. Lately, they have even been stealing each other's toys and bottle :/ Can you imagine 6 months from now?! Bennett has gotten so incredibly mobile. He can manage his way to anywhere he wants, but is still slow enough at it that I don't loose track of him. Maxton can get places, too, but it's all by rolling. He's pretty content watching and laughing at his brothers. Both boys have been sleeping through the night for a while now. It is sooo nice. Although, I still have a hard time getting Ben to nap during the day. I can't believe how this kids never sleeps. Max is such a sweet heart and will just roll to his belly, put his thumb in his mouth and sleep right on the floor if I don't get to him fast enough. Honestly- the first three months of having twins was really hard. I felt like I always had a baby in my arms, always. I was so sleep deprived, so tried all the time. I didn't feel like myself, I felt like a zombie. My house was always a disaster. I never got a moment to myself. NOT A SINGLE MINUTE. I never got time with Hendrix, ever. It. was. hard. Lately though, it has been so much easier. I feel like myself again. I get time to myself. Time with my Hendrix. I am enjoying my boys so much more because now I actually have the energy. Don't misunderstand me. I always enjoyed my boys, I always adored and loved them. Not for a second did I ever want it any other way. But it was exhausting, draining, stressful (really test your sanity and your relationship kind of stress) to be a mother of twins. Aaron working nights, never leaving the house, changing poopy diapers all day. It was worth every single tear. Now though, it is worlds different. Worlds. We are so lucky to have such beautiful, fun, happy boys. Not a day goes by that I don't think that. Now for some up-to-date pictures of my boys.
Hendrix trying on my new winter hat. I will always be fascinated by this child. He is simply amazing to me.  

Aaron and I agree Maxton wins the best smile award. It is so big and sweet and goofy. He is ALWAYS grinning. He is too easy to love.

My never-napper. Helping me paint outside. He absolutely loves being outdoors. He is definitely my little curious bug. My little explorer. 

I had to post this whole sequence of pictures. Maxton makes me laugh.

Seriously, what a big goofy grin!

I see more of Henri in him than I used too. Don't you?

They both have been chewing on their tongues lately. Maxton, though, is my slobber baby. 

Bennett has the happiest eyes. A 'smeyes'. He always looks happy even when he's not smiling.

I love to let them play naked. For one to let them air out ( can you imagine wearing a diaper all day?) and also because there's nothing cuter than a nakey baby butt!

Little Ben is looking more like his uncle Caleb everyday. 

So Henri found my old Calvin and Hobbes books and wanted Aaron to read them to him. I don't know who was laughing more :)

What an incredibly sweet moment. I am so glad I grabbed my camera.

I love father/son time. It is so important because they hang out with mom ALL DAY!

2 comments: